Thursday, February 26, 2009

Class Presentations

What is the number one thing Americans fear? Of course it must be snakes, spiders or heights right? As a matter of fact it is none of the above; the answer happens to be public speaking. Some people say they would rather die than have to give a presentation and public speak! With that said, I think everyone has really shown confidence the last few days of class and I have really enjoyed all of my classmates five minute presentations.

To narrow down to my top three, I will have to select Harry's on "The Myths of Asians," Scott's, covering the new invention of "The Jetlev-Flyer," and Mike's which explained "The Inter-Ac Basketball League." What made each of these topics so enjoyable, was a direct result of my interests and hobbies.

First off, Harry's presentation was absolutely hilarious, he touched on the jokes associated with his ethnicity, which really gave him credibility or ethos. He had some really awesome clips from comedians, which made what can sometimes be a serious topic funny. I think he was effective because he kept the class engaged and entertained. He really put his background aside and embraced the topic to get people's attention by using pathos. Lastly, Harry connected with his audience and picked a topic he knew most people would get a kick out of. All and all, "the Myths of Asians" is my favorite presentation most recently.

In a different way, I really enjoyed Scott's presentation because I learned about something new. I had no idea such a cool water technology had just came out and the whole concept was intriguing. I really enjoy spending time on the lake and the discovery of this new jet pack makes me want to try it out someday. The presentation was enjoyable because of the clips showing the pack in action and all of the features associated with the jet pack. Lastly, Scott was an effective speaker because of the topic and the interest I had in lake activities.

The third topic I really enjoyed was "The Inter-AC Basketball League." Again, it came down to my interests, I love every sport and it was cool to hear his direct experience with future and current NBA stars. I think he was effective because of my knowledge of the sport and my personal interest. Moreover, he had plenty of ethos, which made me pay attention and get his perspective of his own personal experiences playing against the athletes. It was great to learn where many great basketball players have come from and it will be interesting to see if more develop into NBA stars from Mike's area.

I am looking forward to more presentations on friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment